7th Street Health Access Centre
7th Street Health Access Center is a Primary Health Care Centre, in the heart of downtown Brandon, providing a number of health and social services all under one roof to help individuals with “Better Life, Better Health”!
20-7th Street, Brandon, MB • R7A 6M8
Ph: (204) 578-4800
Fax: (204) 578-4950
Hours of Operation: 11:00 – 7:00 pm. Seven days/week (closed on statutory holidays)
Click here for Support Groups held at the Access Centre.
Eligibility for Services:
Any individual in need of health or community services; needing help finding their way though the healthcare or social service systems or needing to know who to contact.
How to Access the Services:
Self-referral or referral from any resource.
Costs: No cost.
Other Relevant Information: Must stop at reception desk upon arrival.
- Usually the first service provider you meet when you come to the centre for help.
- Assesses physical, social, and emotional needs of clients.
- Helps to problem solve, identify service options and direct clients to the right service provider, referral agency or resource.
- Available for those who do not have a family physician.
- Diagnoses and manages acute and chronic health conditions.
- Orders and manages tests (blood work, X-rays, ultrasounds, Pap tests, swabs, etc.)
- Performs minor invasive and surgical procedures (skin biopsy, suturing, etc.)
- Prescribe medications when needed..
Community Health Nurse
- Helps people of all ages with their health needs.
- Talks with people about their health and ways to stay healthy for life.
- Refers people to others on the health care team to ensure the best care.
- Provides home/clinic/community outreach visits.
Adult Community Mental Health Worker
- Helps people who are dealing with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress/coping, trauma, schizophrenia, and others.
- Provides assessment, treatment planning, counselling and referrals.
- Clients must be an adult, live in Brandon (or close by), and be requesting help.
- Clients can be self-referred, referred by someone else, but potential clients must agree to the referral.
Community Social Worker
- Works with individuals and families with many needs - financial; relationship; impact of their physical health and disabilities on home, work, pesonal and social life.
- Provides long-term support; problem solving skills; life skills counselling; goal setting and advocacy.
Addictions Services (AFM)
- AFM provides help and support for adults and their families who are dealing with an addiction to alcohol, drugs and/or gambling.
- One-on-one or group sessions are offered.
Housing Resource Worker
- Helps clients search for decent, lower-cost housing in Brandon and area.
- Works with landlords and tenants to foster effective landlor tenant reelationships.
- Can assist with searches for furniture or other household supplies.
- Housing staff work with other agencies to have supports in place to help people be successful tenants. They advocate for improvements in rental units and can help problem solve with tenants and landlords.
- Housing workers also provide education on how to be a successful tenant.
- Within health care, provides language support interpretation for individuals who speak Chinese or Spanish.
- Organizes informational and cultural education sessions for the immigrant communities or service providers.
Consumer Peer Support Educator
- Provides peer support to anyone receiving mental health services.
- Provides education to promote positive mental health and build self-esteem.
- Conducts workshops for individuals and groups as employment initiatives.
- Provides one-to-one peer support.
Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP)
Taxes prepared by a volunteer, free of charge for families with an income less than $35,000. The program provides two tax services:
- March through April 30, clients can meet with a volunteer, to have their taxes completed.
- Clients are also able to use our "drop off" service by leaving their tax information at 7th Street Health Access Centre for a volunteer to complete. Drop off service is available until the end of September.
- Mostl tax returns are sent by e-filing.
Other Available Services
- Public Access to Computers with Internet – available for 1 hour per day, per person free of charge. Hotmail, Yahoo and Facebook accounts are not accessible.
- Meeting Rooms – free use of our meeting rooms for non-profit organizations in need of meeting space. Pre-book by calling 578-4800 and signing the room booking guidelines.
- Free Laundry Services – on a first-come, first-serve basis; with a limit of 3 loads per week. Generally, a short-term solution for people who have nowhere to do laundry. People are encouraged and assisted to secure a more permanent solution for their everyday laundry needs.
- Barrier-Free Shower Room – on a first-come, first-serve basis; during business hours of 11 am to 7 pm, 7 days a week. Towels, facecloth and soap can be provided.
- Harm Reduction Initiatives – needle distribution and sharps drop off site. Free condoms and lubrication are also available. All staff willing to talk with you about making smal changes to living a safer, healthier life.
- Public Access Telephone – free local and limited long distance calling. There is also free voicemail available (great for job hunters). Voicemail is accessible from any phone, once it's set up.
- Fax/Photocopying/Printing – available free of charge. Limit of 10 pages total per day, per person.
- Coffee House – 1st Sunday of every month, from 2:00 till 4:00 pm. Come enjoy coffee, snacks and a visit. Meet old friends, make new friends, ask questions, learn how to live healthier and have fun!
- TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) – weight loss group that meets every Thursday from 1:00 till 2:30 pm in the Community Kitchen. Contact Joyce at 726-5353 for more information.